Fit For Duty© - Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) Screening
Fatigue Management Solutions has a complete turn key solution to support those employees who may have a sleep disorder such as Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA).
The National Sleep Foundation reports that sleep deprivation, not cancer or coronary illness, now constitutes the number 1 killer in the Western World.
It is estimated that 1/3 of the population will suffer from a sleep disorder during their lives while another 1/3 are dangerously sleep deprived. Experts claim that sleepiness is 'the smoking gun of the modern age' and fear that unless we radically shift our attitudes towards sleep we are heading towards a medical meltdown.
Establishing if your employees have a sleep disorder, such as sleep apnea, is critical. Not only can an individuals health be adversely affected if it goes un-treated, but the likelihood of a fatigue related accident greatly increases, putting not only themselves, but also their colleagues and the community at risk.
Untreated OSA is known to contribute to serious fatigue related accidents and severe health consequences.
- Studies have shown that drivers with Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) have 2-15 times more frequent motor vehicle accidents compared to unaffected drivers
- Other studies indicate that as few as 10% of physicians inquire about sleep apnea related symptoms.
- Twice as many traffic accidents per mile
- 40% increase in excessive daytime sleepiness
- Threefold risk of occupational accidents
- 1.3 to 2.5 times more hypertension
- 2.2 times increased risk of nocturnal cardiac arrhythmia
- 3.9 times more likely to have congestive heart failure
- 1.6 times increased chance of stroke
- 1.4 to 2.3 times greater risk of heart attack
- 40% increased risk of depression
Treating OSA makes good economic sense.
- Employees receiving CPAP treatment experience a dramatic improvement in their health and quality of life, and their health care costs return to normal levels
- Performance (as measured by tests of simulated driving, daytime sleepiness, cognitive performance and mood) show significant improvements
- Essentially, all the adverse health and performance consequences and costs are thus reversed in the compliant, treated employee
Our OSA program is the first in New Zealand to deliver a comprehensive workplace diagnosis and treatment intervention.
Our program delivers:
- Deploy treatment
- Monitor compliance
- Educate individuals
- Support both the individuals and their families
- Integrate this intervention into the OH&S policy within an organisation
Talk to us about introducing this life saving program into your business.
If you are an Occupational Health Provider and would like to offer this service to your clients, please contact us for more information about our Fit For Duty© Partnership Program.